Dear ICEAF VII participant,
First, please let us thank you for your participation to the 7th International Conference of Engineering Against Failure. Underneath, you may find some information about the Social Events of the Conference and the island of Spetses.
Conference Social Events
Date: Tuesday, 20th June
Fee: No additional charge for Conference Participants and Accompanying persons.
We have the pleasure of inviting you to our Welcome event at the garden of Anargyrios and Korgialenios School (AKSS), which is our Conference Venue. The School, is located near the traditional settlement of Spetses and the unique pine forest of the foundation (which covers about half of the island) and opposite one of the most beautiful beaches of the island.
AKSS history goes back more than a century and after it was renovated has been filled with life again and hosts a variety of scientific Conferences and cultural events.
Enjoy finger food and beverages while reconnecting with old friends and colleagues and getting to know new faces.
CONFERENCE GALA DINNER
Date: Thursday, 22nd June
Fee: No additional charge for Conference Participants and Accompanying Persons
Cost of additional tickets: € 35 per person
At Spetses, flavour and taste are a way of communication. Meals are the time when family and friends get together to eat, drink, share, enjoy, and talk. After all, the Greek word “symposium”, a word as ancient as Greece itself, means “drinking in company”. Enjoy the entertainment delights that our hosts provide.
The organizers of the Conference are facilitating accompanying persons to take part to a boat trip around the island of Spetses. The excursion will take place only by enough registrations.
Date: Wednesday, 21st June
Time: 11:00–17:00 *Provisional Time
Ticket Price: € 25 per person
INFORMATION ABOUT THE ISLAND
Spetses, an island boasting a long naval tradition, has managed to retain its individual character thanks to its well-preserved grand captain mansions, bearing witness to the island’s glorious past.
- Named “the island of aromas” by Venetian merchants for its position on the spice route, Spetses features pine-covered hills, secluded beaches and horse-drawn carts. The town of Spetses (pop. 4,000) is the only large settlement on the island.
- Since private vehicles are not allowed on the island, the most common modes of transport are walking, horse-drawn carriages, bicycles, mopeds, and motorcycles. Trails encircle the island and total about 25 to 30 km.
- Beaches closest to the town of Spetses include: Agios Mamas in the center of town; Kaiki beach 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) to the northwest and Agia Marina 2 kilometers (1 mile) to the south, both of which offer watersports. Public buses serve beaches further outside town, including Zogeria, Agioi Anargiroi, and Agia Paraskevi.
- Thanks to its proximity to Athens, Spetses has long been a favorite cosmopolitan getaway destination, as reflected in its smart cafes, high-end restaurants and stylish boutiques.
- 5 (+ 1) things to do in Spetses
- Try the unique local almonds
- Enjoy a unique horse-drawn carriage ride
- Take a selfie at the edge of the lighthouse next to the Natalia Mela’s Mermaid
- Visit the Bouboulina Museum
- Swim in the enchanting waters, and of course:
- Experience the nightlife of Spetses!
For more information visit: